Big D

Big D

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day Weekend

First off, I'd like to say that I have a rejuvenated purpose in continuing to write this blog, since a few people stated this weekend (well two that I can recall directly - Matza and Owen). Regardless, it's two more people than I thought read this site so at least it's a start. Anyways, great scene this weekend at my old roomate's (Marshy-poo) wedding. Feel free to leave any of your comments at the end of his post because this thing will be 10X more interesting if we have more chatter than just cuyler, Zach, and I's ramblings. Until then, here is my rant for this memorial day weekend.

Rangers continue to roll, and I am really starting to get excited about this team. It is clearly a two team race in the west, and I feel like we will have enough to outlast the Angels as long as our pitching holds up. And the signs are there that we will. Let's take a look at the rangers in the month of May.

Batting Average: .276 3rd in AL behind Boston and the Evil empire

OBP: .337 3rd in AL same teams above us

OPS: .838 1st in AL and MLB

HR: 42 most in MLB by 6


ERA 3.56 7th in AL (only 16 homers allowed vs. 42 hit in may)

Looking even deeper into the numbers,

Our starting staff (Rogers, Park, Young, Astacio, and Drese have started every game) has a 4.03 ERA good for 4th in AL. When you consider how poorly our bullpen started with the initial shock of the Francisco and Almanzar losses, this whole pitching staff has really done the job so far this year. Orel Hershiser should be given a key to this city if he can lead us to a world series. He has meant that much to this pitching staf. Let's look at the starters first in rank of impact so far:

Rogers -- Should be the starter for the AL in Detroit at the all star game. 1.69 ERA and has carried this team on its back at times. I really am amazed how he is doing it at the age of 40. I never thought he would be this good, and anything he does for the rest of the season should be considered a bonus. I will happily eat crow as Rogers continues to win.

C-Young -- Tell me how a guy like Young can go from Double-A last year about this time to dominating good teams like the Yankees and White Sox and look very good doing it. I am amazed at what he has done so far at such a young age. As much crap as I give HP, Young could be the guy to change my feelings on that town. Last year, his fastball was barely hitting 90 and this year, he is getting it up to 93 and 94 last outing. It is very impressive stuff considering that his 12-6 curveball is downright nasty at times. This Princeton kid has the potential to be a guy we build our staff around.

CHOP -- As crazy as it seems to be touting Chan Ho, you can't argue with the results this year at least. Bottom line is this, Rangers are 8-2 when Chan Ho starts. That stat alone should tell you how far beyond anyone's expectations (and there were some very bleak expectations coming into the season), he has performed this year.

Drese -- I give this guy an incomplete so far. He has had some really good outings (CG 1-run win against Cleveland), and he has had some really god - awful outings at times. I will continue trust Orel with Drese's sinker until he proves otherwise. This guy really could be the key to our playoff hopes if some other stuff doesn't go our way.

Astacio -- He is what he is. I am hoping he does well, but in the back of my mind I wish I could see Ric-Rod up here. As long as he continues winning, I think he is worth the incentive laden contract.


I'm sure I will talk more about the rangers over the next few days because of our sick 8 game winning streak blinding any worts this team may have. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

More commentary tomorrow on other topics hopefully....

T

No comments: