Big D

Big D

Monday, November 14, 2005

What a Great Weekend ..... Rivalry Week Ahead....

First off, Nice work by Dave with his 5-1 Record last week. He is really starting to get a hang of this degenerate college football betting thing. I couldn't be prouder if he was my own son.

Also, big news with Z-man moving in to a new place in Scottsdale. Z got himself a nice one bedroom apartment right by the pool. Watch out ladies and by ladies I mean 65 year old AARP Grandmas, Z man is on the prowl. Seriosuly though, very cool and I expect Z's golf game to improve greatly.

Defee is just being Defee as far as I can tell. Had that good night with the Make-A-Wish kid. Good stuff Defee.

Cuyler is still busy with the dogs. Maybe he can board those damn things and get out to Pasadena for a once in a lifetime game. But that's just me.

Anyways, I figured I'd recap a newsworthy weekend of sports and a promising week ahead.



Simms and Vasher -- Does it get any better for UT and their fans right now?


I don't know if anyone watched it. I was playing the longest round of golf of my life with Polarek and two old Korea/WWII vets named Larry and Ralph. These guys were old and slow and not really very good. Polarek was almost lecturing these guys right after the first hole about pace of play. I sat back and tried to enjoy the round as much as possible. Ended up with an 84 which ain't too bad for me. It probably would have gotten real ugly but one of them told us the other guy was in his second round of chemo. We both were very courteous the rest of the round. Well Polarek mouthed off a few times, but not me.




Anyways, the Vasher TD was I guess the longest TD in NFL history.
Like the recordkeepers back in 1945 really were that concerned about a touchdown being a 105 or 107 yards. Well now this shit matters, because ESPN says so. HOw windy was that game? Seriously, that was just ridiculous. I guess Pickett went like 1 for 13 or something just stupid. I didn't get to watch any of this game but the entertainment of seeing the ball do insane things would have been fun. I saw one of the kicks do basically a right hand turn before dying to the turf. Just to give you an idea how windy it was at this game, the kicker and holder for the bears get this fired up about a 37-yard field goal.

Regardless, this was a badass return by Nate Dog Vasher (marcus had 10 nicknames for the guy) play right before half. Vasher was most remebered at UT for the gaffe in the much maligned 14-3 loss to Oklahoma in 2001 or the Roy Williams "superman" play. Whatever you want to call it, the Vasher decision to field that pooch punt set up the play that defined Simms and Roy Williams (OU) college careers. And to even an greater extent that game defined those Oklahoma and Texas teams. The Big 3 never lived up to the hype especially when they played OU. I think it was some ridiculous stat that the Big 3 never caught a TD pass against OU. Those kind of things are mind boggling. Now, Texas is the highest they have ever been in athletics and those things are all a distant memory.



Simms also had a good game against Washington I have always been hesitant to comment on Simms, mainly because of how closely I followed the team during those 1999-2000-2001. He really has the potential to be a good NFL QB and this week's game hopefully will help jumpstart a long NFL career. He deserves it after all the bullshit he took from a lot of Texas fans (I was very critical of the guy at times as well), and I hope this works out for him. It will only help UT in the long run.

This weekend brought back a lot of good and not so good of course (GD!!!!!!!!, Mack's propensity to lay an egg in big games, Simms STOP throwing it to the Colorado linebackers, I could go on....) memories of following those Texas teams and it makes this year's run that much sweeter.


AROD wins 2nd MVP Narrowly over Ortiz.

Great for AROD but the MVP award in baseball is really a meaningless award that is only fun for the fans and media types who get to go on PTI and blather incessantly about who deserves the award. Baseball is ultimately a team game where indvidiual statistics are nice but in the end wins and losses are what really matters. Okay, I'm probably just bitter about the anti-christ winning, but it still puts a smile on my face knowing him and I both have the same number of championship rings.

UT Basketball opens season tonight against perennial powerhouse Southern.
If UT fans weren't spoiled enough already, UT basketball opens the season #2 in the AP basketball poll. With Aldridge and Tucker returning to an already pretty talented team, this could be a speical year for Rick Barnes team.

This game against southern opens up a 16 team mini-tournament where we most likely will match up with Kentucky, Iowa, or W. Virginia in the semi finals next week. A matchup with any of those teams will be a good way to get this season started. Duke (#1) looms ahead as a huge early season matchup on December 10th. Let's get it started!

9 comments:

Gang of Idiots said...

Uh, thanks for getting everyone updated on our friends before getting to the sports. My favorite updates are about Defee and Cuyler b/c they aren't really updates. Defee is just being Defee? What the hell does that mean? I think it means you didn't talk to him this weekend and you just want everyone to know you are still buddies with him.
Also, I am sure Polarek appreciates you throwing him under the bus and making him out to be a bad person who mouths off to cancer patients while making yourself out as a saint at the same time.
My favorite sentence of this whole post is, "I guess Pickett went like 1-13 or something just stupid." I think if you made a 14 year old girl watch the Bears game from this past weekend she would use the exact same words to describe the game.....

Gang of Idiots said...

Last time I checked we are the only ones reading this site.

Or maybe someone is reading.. I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Nice article pods. I'm not sure why your riding Cuyler so hard about the dogs, your little pet keeps you pretty busy.

I'm all for you reliving the old days of UT Football, but I'd be more upset about how all of these guys are performing now in the NFL and couldn't put it all together in college. Just my $0.02

Big win for the Boys last night! Finally found a way to win a close one.

Anonymous said...

After Tech's return to mediocrity on Saturday, I wanted to wait to see if there was anything to hang my hat on for this football weekend. Luckily, the Boys came through for me. What a great game to win considering the Eagles held us to 58 yards rushing and basically dominated the whole game.

Well, I would write more, but I have to get back to being me. (Not really sure what that means)

Anonymous said...

I understand what you mean, that is a pretty deep thought. Its like saying, "I'm just going to do what I do."

Too bad no one else will be in D-town next week, me and Trampe are heading out to Texas Stadium to cheer on our Alma Mater. It will be just like old times. You guys remember when we were chugging beers in the parking lot at the Stadium and that truck came out of gear and rolled and slammed into that parked car? Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

I read. Religiously.

Hope everyone is doing well- Bader, Defee, Cuyler, Zach- it's been a really long time. Defee and I may not have seen each other since I came back to Plano and hooked up with Jessica DeGroot in Zack Wimpee's house. I think Garcia had a crush on her.


Later on,
hammond

Anonymous said...

Hammond, I think you hooking up with Jessica Degroot is what triggered Garcia to lose it and go off the deep end; later resulting in him keying his ex-girlfriend's car our first few weeks at Tech.

The word HAMMOND was scratched across the hood.

Anonymous said...

Was that before or after degroot put on about 50 lbs? I remember we saw her at Logans after me, z, and cuyler had about 30 beers and i was having a conversation with who i thought was a total stranger and trampe then tells me its degroot.

Anonymous said...

before man, before. come on!!! KELLY CLARK!!!!