Big D

Big D

Friday, April 15, 2005

Swinging the Sticks

Alright, so I’m bored, I got two weeks left at my current job, and I am about to get the hell outta here. Therefore, I will take the time to rundown my favorite golf courses. Granted I have never played Pebble Beach, Pinehurst, or Bethpage, in fact, I haven’t played anywhere of consequence. As I am moving to Atlanta in the near future, this list will likely change some. None the less – here are my top courses and why I like them. If you are lucky enough to have played any of the nations top 10 courses, well, fu*k yourself.


1. Grand National (Links Course) – Opelika, Alabama
The Skinny: My favorite track I have ever played. Everything about it was spectacular. Holes cut into a large forest of trees. Some water, but not too much, great elevated greens that are nice and soft. Excellent track.
Most memorable shot: 4 iron into 18 to set up a gimme par after an estimated 17 consecutive triple bogies

2. Stonebriar – Frisco, Texas
The Skinny: This is as close to a home course as I am going to have. Hard as hell. Greens are about the toughest I have ever played, but the course is surprisingly manageable. I just love this track.
Most memorable shot: The time I chunked a huge divot on my playing partner as I warmed up on a par 3 on a muddy day. I didn’t know the guy.

3. Capital Hill (Judge Course) – Prattville, Alabama
The Skinny: Another RTJ track. Great undulation, picturesque holes. I’ll take Grand National if forced to choose, but this track is solid as well. Great Greens.
Most Memorable shot: A chili dipped wedge on the easiest hole on the course, which traveled all of 15 feet into the woods. Resulted in a lost ball and a declaration that I would chug a beer for every hole I did not make par. I did not make any more pars.

4. The Quarry – San Antonio, Texas
The Skinny: Awsome layout. Back 9 is probably my favorite 9 on any course. Cut into a quarry in San Antonio, this track has great soft greens, and great views.
Most Memorable shot: 9 iron into an low green right over the flag stick, even got a little spin on it. Set up my first birdie of the day.

5. Barton Creek Fazio Foothills – Austin, Texas
The Skinny: Another awesome layout. Tons of undulation, elevated tees, great hole design. Numbers 9, and 16 are two of the prettiest holes I’ve played. My favorite of the Hill Country courses.
Most Memorable Shot: snaked in about a 50 footer for birdie on 9 green after I thought I had missed the green entirely, probably my best putt ever.

6. The Raven (now Arizona National)– Tucson, Arizona
The Skinny: This is what desert golf should be about. An oasis of grass in the middle of the desert to create target practice golf. An all around great layout where your entire game is tested.
Most memorable shot: 5 iron off the tee, 3 wood into the green on the 3rd par 4 we played. It was just strange to play that kind of target golf, it really tested my game.

7. Barton Creek Fazio Canyons – Austin, Texas
The Skinny: Another great track in the Barton Creek family. This course is pretty difficult with danger on every shot. This course is really long, and requires tons of 4 and 5 irons into the par 4 greens. Tough but fair.
Most memorable shot: I never hole out…..ever. But, I did manage to get a sandy birdie from a tough trap just off the green. As soon as it was up, it was in.

8. Arrowhead – Littleton Colorado
The Skinny: A Robert Trent Jones course. Awesome views out in the Redrock front range of the Rockies. Probably my favorite Colorado course, its very beautiful, and you can hit it a mile.
Most memorable shot: More like shots. Mind you this is when I was playing the best I have ever played….started out birdie, birdie, par, birdie to close out the front 9 in 37. I managed to shoot 84. I was ever so pissed.

9. Deer Valley – Tyler, Texas
The Skinny: Lots of doglegs on this course. This was my introduction to tree golf, as this course is cut into the forests that start in East Texas and stretch all thoughout the south. Fun track, great greens.
Most memorable shot: The one my dad took on fellow idiot Z, as he made him pay for his round after I all but assured him that he would cover it. Sorry Z.

10. Bear Dance – Castle Rock, Colorado
The Skinny: Cool Track right outside of Denver. Again you can just crush it. Great views of Pikes peak and the Rockies in the distance. Course was in incredible shape, and the layout was a lot of fun. Not terribly difficult, but challenging none the less.
Most memorable shot: The one that caromed off the cart of the group in front of us as my brother remarked “I didn’t think I could hit it that far”

Nothing Spectacular here, but these are some fun tracks. Feel free to post comments.

JC

No comments: