Big D

Big D

Thursday, September 15, 2005

9/17 College Football Plays

I have tried to pace myself this non-conference season and wait until conference season to really get serious. While I don't have any top plays this week, I am looking at about 15-20 games that could be plays. I will limit my list to 10 for this website. If you are interested in any other games, leave a comment and more than likely i have at least some sort of opinion on the game.

Okay, onto the picks...

5 top plays (keep in mind I have no 5* specials this week -- Minnestoa last week against Colorado St. has been my only 5* play so far)

1) Utah -3 against TCU -- TCU has to fall somewhere in the middle between their performances against OU and SMU. Regardless, this game is their MWC opener and is a big game for both teams. I just think TCU is a lot closer to the team we saw last week against SMU then the increasinly less impressive win against OU. Of course, I could be completely wrong. I probably wouldn't even playing this game if it wasn't a Thursday night contest, so proceed with caution. Also, be sure to check out Utah's tailback. He's pretty good and is a Maurice Clarett clone.

2) Bama -2.5 over South Carolina -- This should be a great game (first CBS SEC broadcast) and I feel like BAma isn't getting any respect so far this season. I just think Bama's overall talent level is better than South Carolina. I do expect this game to be close but I feel like Bama's defense will help them win a close won on the road.

3) Wisconsin -3 over North Carolina -- Wisconsin's ground game has been incredible so far this year thanks to CU transfer Brian Calhoun. While UNC is improving, I think Wisconsin's ground game will be too much for a feisty UNC bunch. This is my top play of the weekend but definitely not a 5* play.

4) @BC +2 over Florida St. -- This should be a hell of a game and I like BC because their crowd should be rocking and this is the type of game FSU has had trouble with the last 3 or 4 years. Plus, I need some home teams on my card and this seems like a good spot. Small play.

5) @Kansas -14 over La Tech -- Kansas has struggled so far against 2 subpar teams, and they need a good showing before heading into conference play. This seems to be a soft line considering Kansas will have some incentive play well. Medium play

Others still under consideration:

Mich St. +7 over ND -- I love the domers but Michigan St. has looked good so far this year and ND may have a little bit of an emotional letdown after their first 2 games. I still think ND pulls it out late but this games hould be close.

@New Mexico -22.5 over New Mexico St. -- New Mexico has been impressive so far this year (Win over Mizzou on the road) and New Mexico St. stinks. This is a soft line and should be closer to 27 than 21.

UCONNN +17.5 over G-Tech -- If UCONN (avg close to 300 on ground) can get anything established on the ground, I think they can stay within the number. G-Tech is a solid team so this is a scary play.

East Carolina +13 over Wake -- Wake has been terrible so far (loss at home to Vandy) and probably shouldn't be giving 13 points to anybody. I think East Carolina realizes this and will make Wake fight for a win.

Tennesee +7 over Florida -- Tennesee has too much talent to be getting 7 points against Florida. Public is all over Florida and I'll take my chances with a small play on Tennesee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Bama play. They have a great team, and with Darby and Croyle healthy, they are tough. SC played the best the possibly could last week against UGA, but still not enough.

I'm in total disagreement over FSU. I'm not a big BC fan, so I try and keep my emotions out of this, but... FSU has one of the tough defenses I've seen in many years. They have gotten no respect for their win over Miami. Yes, their QBs are young and not very good, but they did put up 52 pts in the second half against Citadel, but before you cry wolf, don't forget Citadel played Auburn tough last year and probably affected their chance to play for the Championship. FSU has never been a dog on the road against any ACC teams besides Miami. I just believe they are getting very close to returning to glory.

Just my $0.02

Gang of Idiots said...

Appreciate the comments Big D.

At least one person is reading this damn blog.

Let's get r done BAMA.

I freaking hate BC but we'll see how it goes this weekend. This FSU team is pretty cool and I could definitely see it going their way.

How about them Baylor bears against armY?

Anonymous said...

That did catch my eye. No one knows the military academies as well as I do, but this is touchy. I watched the Army vs. BC game, Army held their own, kinda. They are improving, and I'm sure with Bobby Ross entering his second year they will have a better understanding of the system, but I'm a big believer in BCS conferences dominating the service academies. But, this is Baylor. And playing at West Point on the home opener will be a challenge. But if I had to pick, I like Baylor, but only at -6 1/2.