Big D

Big D

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Michael "Fucking" Young and 2nd Half MLB Predictions

While I know most of the country and even the crowd in attendance didn't seem all that excited about tonight's All Star game, I was plasantly surprised by tonight's midsummer classic. Thanks to Michael's Young 2 strike, 2 out triple in the top of the ninth off Trevor Hoffman. With the AL trailing 2-1 and the long AL winning streak in jeopardy, Young was able to drill a pitch in the gap to score 2 runs. Unbelievably exciting play and Rivera shut down the door in the Ninth for a 3-2 AL victory.

I figured I would go ahead and give my 2nd half predictions for the AL first on how I think the playoff race will play out.

AL West

All-Star Break
W L % GB
Oakland 45 43 .511 --
Texas 45 43 .511 --
LA Angels 43 45 .489 2.0
Seattle 43 46 .483 2.5

Obviously I am partial in this race, but I think the Rangers have enough this season to at least play meaningful games in September. And that's at least start for our sorry franchise. With that said, the A's have to be the favorite once Harden comes back off the DL and Chavez gets fully healthy. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Mariners or Angels mount a small charge thanks to some good young pitching from the likes of King Felix in Seattle and Jared Weaver with Anaheim.

Keep in mind that the last time the A's and Rangers meet is September 4th-6th in Oakland. I think both teams will be deadlocked until very late and hopefully the Rangers can pull out some magic for once.

Final Standings

W L % GB
Texas 91 71
Oakland 90 72
Seattle 83 79
Anaheim 80 82

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the new updates, lets see if you can keep it up. Nice new format, either that or my cpu monitor is all jacked up. I wish I could have watched the hit last night in the 9th, but the 1 hour pregame show and the 20 minute intermission before the 5th inning was about all I could handle.

Since when does MLB games have intermission? And how could that game determine who has home field advantage? Did you hear the National league pregame speech in the locker room by their manager. "We don't have signs, if you want to steal, then steal. If you want to swing away, then swing away. Just do what you want and show off, your all-stars."

How pissed would you be if you were the METS and your chances of winnnig the championship due to home field was determined by this lackluster, go have fun attitude.

Why else would you explain the stealing of 3rd base against the greatest catcher of all time. Granted it resulted in a run due to the passed ball, but the probability of that happening is slim to none, and don't forget the golden rule in baseball, "Don't make the first or third out at third base."

As much as I'm trying to get back into baseball, the all-star game was a little much for my liking. At least Carrie underwood was there though....