Big D

Big D

Monday, July 10, 2006

What a finish!!!! Italy is the Champ



I know most people don't care what team I rooted for in this World Cup. I freely admit that I only truly become a futbol fan once every four years when the world cup rolls around. Since this world cup started, outside of the obvious US allegiance, I have been rooting for Italy (I've been there, absolutely love their Unis, and I have fond memories of their world cup final team in '94) and the Netherlands (obvious reasons). After this year's World Cup, I can honestly say that I am going to make a concerted effort to try and follow soccer in the years between World Cups as much as possible because I really had a fun time following the sport during the last month.



Italy wins the Cup in PKs

In addition, this World Cup has made me a lifelong fan of Italy. What a fantastic team effort during this whole tournament. I better get used to the GolTV and Fox Soccer channel over the next few years. They need to become a regular part of rotation.

A very memorable quote from one my favorite Italians (maybe the best nickname in the tournament -- "snarling dog") after yesterday's win:

As Gennaro Gattuso walked past his coach, an almighty grin on his face, he summed up the mood of his team-mates. "This is the best feeling in the world," he said. "I feel like I'm incredibly drunk."


And my last thought on the World Cup:

Thanks to Hurst and a host of others who have circulated the link of all that hot chicks either at the world cup games or shown pictures of all the players wives/girlfriends who are usually hot foreign models.

My favorite duo -- Thierry Henry who was one of the most dyanmic scoring threats in the entire tournament from France and his girlfriend, Nicole Merry.


She is just fantastic.

Rangers Enter All Star Break in a Tie for First

If you take two out of 3 from Minnesota when they have Francisco Liriano and Johan Santana pitching back to back in the series, you have done a hell of a job. The Rangers should get an extra boost of confidence going into the all star break with two series wins over Toronto and Minnesota.

This team has a real shot to make some noise probably more because the AL west is so crummy this year than anything else. But I'll take it over the alternative of being 10+ games back in the AL East or Central.

White Sox Defeat Red Sox in 19 Inning marathon

Doesn't it always seem like the White Sox end up on the victorious side of things in games like this?

Deflating loss for the REd Sox. Luckily, they have 3 days to recover from such hearbreak.

This is going to be one hell of a second half in MLB this year.



And oh yea, did I mention that football is getting closer? I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You communist. Do you mean football or soccer is getting closer? I can't believe that your going to fall in love with soccer just because a team's uniforms remind you of someone's club soccer team in high school.

I've been to a lot of those communist countries and you don't see me jumping on their bandwagon. I've actually been to the stadium Brazil plays in, but you don't see me bleeding blue and yellow when they lose. You know why???? Cause no one cares about soccer. It's a disgrace. How can you have the so called World Championship that lasts for 3 months be decided by goal kicks? Its like having the NBA finals decided by a free throw shooting contest or the U.S. Open being decided by a putting contest on the putting green. What a joke.

I know your a huge sports nut, but talking about watching fox soccer and goltv is very concerning.