Big D

Big D

Monday, November 29, 2004

Stuff I Need to Get Off My Chest

1) Does anyone else besides me go into convulsions anytime Stuart Scott appears on Sportscenter? This guy's schtick is more played out than Gallagher circa "the smashing watermalons" era.

2) While we are on the topic of "Stu" Scott, it's really close right now between him and Karl Rove as to which one I'd rather force clockwork orange style to watch Dr. Phil/Real World-Road Rules Challenge/The view reruns on a continuous loop.

3) Scott Van Pelt is easily the best thing going on ESPN these days and that includes Barry Pepper's role as Dale in the ESPN original movie "3". And Yes I still think that Pepper is a good actor (61*, 25th Hour--my personal fave, and Saving Private Ryan). Although I don't think there is any way Pepper will look back in 5 years and think this was a good move career wise.

4) More inept: Big 12 North or NBA's Atlantic divison? I give the nod to the NBA's Atlantic divison. Call me crazy, but I think at least Colorado has a puncher's chance against Oklahoma. The teams in the Atlantic could quit today and nobody would notice (even Spike Lee with his beloved Knikcs)

5) Heather Mitts or Elisabeth Hasselback (pre-pregnancy)? Because it's such a close call, I will go by their significant other's QB talent. Let's throw Tim out because we all know Elisabeth married the lesser talented and just as bald Hasselback brother. That fact combined with Matt having the Seahawks in the tank and I think you have to give the edge to Mitts. At least AJ Feely can blame the dolphins suckitude on that pothead Ricky.

6) I haven't been this fired up about a college hoops season since the mid 90s when KG and his successors changed the sport forever. Five teams to watch this season:

1 -- Texas (hey I can be a homer every once in a while) - Memo to NCAA - quit being stupid and let Mike Williams play.

2 -- Washington - Anyone who doesn't know about Nate Robinson yet needs to turn on fox sports net more often and catch some Pac 10 basketball.

3 -- Meeechigan - Came back down to earth against Arizona, but it always good for college basketball when they are playing well.

4 -- NC St. - While they did take some serious personell hits in the offseason (marcus melvin), they haven't missed a beat so far. Julius Hodge is a player (even though he cost me good money during the NCAAs last season), and they are definitely the dark horse in the absolutely loaded ACC. I just love their Euro connection of Atsur and Evtimov.

5 -- Notre Dame - Great backcourt led by Chris Thomas and Chris Quinn (who looks like he belongs at the YMCA gym). Plus, I think Mike Brey can flat out coach.

7) Getting back to the topc of hot girlfriends/wives of star athlets, how hot is Carl Pavano's stock on fantasy draft boards right now regardless of who he signs with this offseason. Perusing my girlfriend's US weekly, (I swear I haven't bought her a subscription......... yet) Barry Zito has been romantically linked to Pavano's ex, Alyssa Milano. Now I don't know about you, but I'd be a tad bit upset right now If I'm Pavano. I mean, doesn't Tony Danza's sweet tv daughter realize Mulder and Hudson had better years than Zito. I got to admit though i'm a Zito fan as long as he's not playing the rangers. I will say that it's either Cy Young or a Marc Fydrich like meltdown for Zito this season. No middle ground.

8) No more Pistons/Pacers jokes anymore Jay Leno. Please!!!!! I'm begging you. Did I just admit to watching Jay Leno?

Until next time...........

T

1 comment:

yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Hey-

Came across your blog today. Great stuff. Agree with you that Texas is a team to watch. Despite the loss to Iowa.

Noticed you were a big sports fan. Hoping you could also add a blogroll link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd very much appreciate a link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, http://collegeball.blogspot.com
College Basketball Blog